- South Norfolk and Broadland Councils
- Place of work:
- Horizon Building, Norwich, Norwich
- Salary details:
- £25,494 - £29,576
- Job term:
- Full Time
- 37 Hours per week
- Closing date:
- 24 September 2023 11:30 PM
Passionate about providing a high-quality collection service by helping and supporting our residents and businesses?
As a member of the Business Rates (NNDR) team you will provide customer contact for Business Rates customers, in line with legislation, guidance notes, corporate policies, procedures and standard.
Ensuring the collection of Business Rates is undertaken in a flexible, transparent, and cost-effective way to maximise customer satisfaction and provide the best solution for our business customers whilst ensuring that income is maximised through timely recovery.
What you could be part of…
As part of our highly successful Business Rates Team, you will work alongside colleagues in other teams to provide the best solution for approximately 10,000 registered business customers.
Although the role will involve telephone contact and dealing with customer enquiries, it is much more than administration and customer service. Whilst predominantly office based you will be expected to perform site visits to customers and business premises (full training will be provided) across the Broadland and South Norfolk area.
Working at the Council enables you to be part of an organisation which is proud to deliver high-quality, customer focused services. Our success comes from us being commercially astute and business-like. Continuous improvement is also vital, and we challenge ourselves to develop new and innovative ways to improve the services that make a real difference to people’s lives.
What you’ll be doing…
- Ensure the maintenance, billing, collection, and recovery of NDR is carried out promptly and effectively maximising income by dealing with all aspects of routine enforcement and recovery of debt due.
- Work with Economic Development Officers to provide the best solution for our business customers.
- Undertake day to day administration to promote business growth and review the tax liability of businesses applying reliefs and discounts as appropriate and in accordance with legislation.
- Maintain the business rates property database and liaise with the Valuation Office and process valuation changes and
- Visit premises to identify those that should be subject to business rates as well as unoccupied business properties to ensure correct liabilities are determined.
- Proactively negotiate repayment plans for those businesses experiencing difficulty.
- Strive for continuous improvement of processes and procedures operating in an innovative and cost-effective manner identifying and actioning efficiencies where appropriate.
You must have…
- 5 GCSEs at Grade C (or equivalent qualification) including Maths and English
- Full UK (or equivalent) driving licence, or ability to travel across the districts
- Ability to build effective strong relationships with businesses (where appropriate face to face) providing clear guidance on matters such as potential reassessments, discounts, and reliefs
- Ability to interpret and keep up to date with complex legislation in relation to NNDR administration and recovery
- Demonstrable experience of working in an administrative role
- Ability to work professionally with external partners (i.e., Valuation Office Agency and Rating Agents)
- Demonstrable ability of a high level of customer care and communication skills and experience of working effectively with a range of organisations utilising a multi-channel approach
- Good planning, organisational and time management skills, including prioritisation and self-monitoring of workload
What’s in it for you…
Why Work For Us?
Do you want to know more about why our staff work for us? Our website has a fantastic why work for us section where our staff tell us what makes working for the Councils so special.
What Flexible and Agile Working Arrangements do we Offer?
The Councils understand the importance of operating a work life balance in the modern world. The Councils operate a flexible working policy and agile working options available for employees where operationally possible.
What Roles Do the Councils Offer?
The Councils operate a vast and diverse number of services for our residents, so with this comes a vast and diverse amount of job roles within the Councils. Our website has a great graphic showing all our job families and roles within the Councils. From here you can plan your career with the Councils or get some ideas on other roles that you may be interested in.
What Benefits do our Employees Receive?
View all our amazing staff benefits on offer for our employees. Our website has a brilliant benefits section allowing you to see the range of discounts, exclusive offers and total rewards our employees receive. Make sure you stop by to find out more information.
What Employer Accreditations do we Hold?
The Councils have a range of employer accreditations that we have worked very hard to achieve. Our website has a full descriptive list of all our current accreditations and what this means for our employees.
What Wellbeing Support do our Staff Have Access to?
The Councils want to ensure all our employees have a safe comfortable place to work, ensuring that employees feel empowered to actively manage their own wellbeing both at work and at home. The Councils have a large wellbeing section available on the website outlining our commitment to the wellbeing of the employees of the Council.
Where are we advertising?
Advertising Internally and Externally
If external, please apply via our website. If internal, please apply via submitting your expression of interest to the relevant recruiting manager; a template for an expression of interest can be found on Connect.
For advice on how to apply, please visit our website https://www.norfolkjobsdirect.org/southnorfolk/southnorfolk/GenText.aspx?page=Page34
If you any questions about the role, then please don’t hesitate to contact the recruiting manager or the HR Team, who will be happy to answer any questions on the role or the Councils.
Recruiting Manager: Karen Hazell
Phone Number: 01508 533922
Phone Number: 01508 533995
Closing date: 24th September 2023
The Councils reserve the right to close any and all vacancies at any time if there is judged to be a sufficient number of applications received.
Interview date: w/c 9 October 2023
Please note that this post is subject to a satisfactory criminal record check. Please note we will not accept any DBS checks from a previous employer.
We will contact you via email, after the recruiting manager has shortlisted for the role to advise you of the shortlisting decision. Please note, we do not provide feedback at the application stage.
For guidance on future applications please see our website: https://www.norfolkjobsdirect.org/southnorfolk/southnorfolk/GenText.aspx?page=Page34
For information on future vacancies please sign up to our job alerts by clicking ‘get email alerts’ on our jobs page: https://www.norfolkjobsdirect.org/southnorfolk/SearchResults.aspx
If you want to learn more about the Councils, then please visit our joint website - South Norfolk and Broadland District Councils Website.
For lots of great information about employee life at the Councils please visit the above linked pages or visit our Jobs and Training Courses website page.
For information on how we use your data and the Councils Data Protection Policy please have a look at the Councils website
Please note we only accept applications submitted through our job’s portal, via Norfolk Jobs Direct: https://www.norfolkjobsdirect.org/southnorfolk/index.aspx
We are not accountable for any applications or details published through other job sites.