- South Norfolk and Broadland Councils
- Place of work:
- Ketteringham Depot, Ketteringham
- Salary details:
- £25,494 - £29,576 per annum
- Job term:
- Full Time
- 37 hours per week
- Closing date:
- 01 October 2023 11:30 PM
Do you have as much enthusiasm as our customers?
The Operations team is, amongst other things, responsible for delivering an efficient and effective waste collection service to meet the requirements of both residents and businesses across the District. If you value, the environment, believe in Health, Safety and best practice, currently have a valid HGV Licence and Driver CPC card, understand Operator Licence responsibilities, enjoy leading a small team, then read on...
What you could be part of…
Operating from Ketteringham Depot and working as part of a small team the role presents the opportunity to support the delivery of the waste collection and other associated services by safely driving a waste collection vehicle, providing supervision to the crew, working as part of a team and contributing to the delivery of the service.
Working at the Council enables you to be part of an organisation which is proud to deliver high-quality, customer focussed services. Our success comes from us being commercially astute and business-like. Continuous improvement is also vital, and we challenge ourselves to develop new and innovative ways to improve the services that make a real difference to people’s lives.
What you’ll be doing…
- Collect waste in accordance with methods and arrangements prevailing and laid down by the Council. This includes but is not limited to general refuse, recycling, commercial and garden waste.
- Act and work as part of a team to deliver the services that the Council require to a high standard.
- Act and work to meet the prescribed standard and requirements of health and safety, ensuring there is no impact on the general public through completion of the round.
- Ensure transport management requirements are met at all times.
- Act as a supervisor to the designated crew throughout the round.
- Act and work in a professional, competent and positive way with customers commensurate with the role.
- Complete relevant paperwork such as attention cards, on board weighing system administration and any other administration that the Councils require.
- Collect missed and illegally tipped refuse under the direction of the Waste Operations Service Manager.
- Take full responsibility for your designated vehicle undertaking driver checks prior to and on completion of each shift, reporting any faults to the workshop on the day that they occur and fulfilling all the requirements placed upon you as part of your role as an HGV/LGV driver.
- Work as part of a team to ensure standards, targets and performance indicators for the services are met with a focus on customer needs and continuous service improvement.
- Be flexible to achieve the council’s goals and expectations, this will entail working early mornings/late afternoons and some weekends where required as agreed with your line manager, particularly following a bank holiday or a period of inclement weather for example. This will mean working beyond normal working hours and undertaking additional hours (up to 8 per week when needed), if requested to meet the needs of the service.
You must have…
Full Cat C HGV licence and current CPC
Knowledge and ability to assess local road conditions to minimise disruption to traffic flow during collections
Demonstrable experience of driving an HGV on a regular basis, preferably in a similar type role
Demonstrates a working knowledge/ability to meet health and safety and other operational requirements
Ability to undertake repetitive manual lifting and moving tasks i.e. the emptying of waste receptacles
Ability to interact with customers in a positive and professional manner
Ability to follow procedures, complete tasks and accept direction
Ability to lead by example and supervise a crew for the duration of shift
Why Work For Us?
Do you want to know more about why our staff work for us? Our website has a fantastic why work for us section where our staff tell us what makes working for the Councils so special.
What Flexible and Agile Working Arrangements do we Offer?
The Councils understand the importance of operating a work life balance in the modern world. The Councils operate a flexible working policy and agile working options available for employees where operationally possible.
What Roles Do the Councils Offer?
The Councils operate a vast and diverse number of services for our residents, so with this comes a vast and diverse amount of job roles within the Councils. Our website has a great graphic showing all our job families and roles within the Councils. From here you can plan your career with the Councils or get some ideas on other roles that you may be interested in.
What Benefits do our Employees Receive?
View all our amazing staff benefits on offer for our employees. Our website has a brilliant benefits section allowing you to see the range of discounts, exclusive offers and total rewards our employees receive. Make sure you stop by to find out more information.
What Employer Accreditations do we Hold?
The Councils have a range of employer accreditations that we have worked very hard to achieve. Our website has a full descriptive list of all our current accreditations and what this means for our employees.
What Wellbeing Support do our Staff Have Access to?
The Councils want to ensure all our employees have a safe comfortable place to work, ensuring that employees feel empowered to actively manage their own wellbeing both at work and at home. The Councils have a large wellbeing section available on the website outlining our commitment to the wellbeing of the employees of the Council.
Where are we advertising?
Advertising Internally and Externally
If external, please apply via our website. If internal, please apply via submitting your expression of interest to the relevant recruiting manager; a template for an expression of interest can be found on Connect.
For advice on how to apply, please visit our website https://www.norfolkjobsdirect.org/southnorfolk/southnorfolk/GenText.aspx?page=Page34
If you any questions about the role, then please don’t hesitate to contact the recruiting manager or the HR Team, who will be happy to answer any questions on the role or the Councils.
Recruiting Manager: Paul Warnes
Phone Number: 01508 533995
Closing date: 1 October 2023 at 11:30PM
The Councils reserve the right to close any and all vacancies at any time if there is judged to be a sufficient number of applications received.
Interview date: To be confirmed
We will contact you via email, after the recruiting manager has shortlisted for the role to advise you of the shortlisting decision. Please note, we do not provide feedback at the application stage.
For guidance on future applications please see our website: https://www.norfolkjobsdirect.org/southnorfolk/southnorfolk/GenText.aspx?page=Page34
For information on future vacancies please sign up to our job alerts by clicking ‘get email alerts’ on our jobs page: https://www.norfolkjobsdirect.org/southnorfolk/SearchResults.aspx
If you want to learn more about the Councils, then please visit our joint website - South Norfolk and Broadland District Councils Website.
For lots of great information about employee life at the Councils please visit the above linked pages or visit our Jobs and Training Courses website page.
For information on how we use your data and the Councils Data Protection Policy please have a look at the Councils website
Please note we only accept applications submitted through our job’s portal, via Norfolk Jobs Direct: https://www.norfolkjobsdirect.org/southnorfolk/index.aspx
We are not accountable for any applications or details published through other job sites.